2:30. It built up suddenly, flickering in the base of my skull and behind my eyelids. I tried to wish it away, but the throbbing came.
3:15. Two little pills, try to curb the pain.
3:50. Then my eyes start to burn, and I am sitting there with electric shocks in my brain, ice picks jammed from behind my right ear, through my eyes and into my pre-frontal cortex. Then the world spun upside down and in all directions, and I could only close my eyes to block out the brightness of the room.
4:10. Close my eyes and everything is in black and white, the pain throbs, it's as if my brain is trying to give birth to this agony and pain, my chest is heaving, sick in my throat, my limbs are all floppy and numb and wobbly and I am terrified that I am going blind, that my vision is disappearing, oh god what if I throw up on the floor, can't fucking breathe the pain is the sky flipping upside down and there's fire on the ceiling of my head and the air has been sucked out of my lungs like deep-space. Shot through the head over and over again, and it comes in waves, up through my right side, back round my ear, up across my forehead and into my eyes, and I don't open my eyes for what seems like ages. I can't stop shaking, my entire left side is twitching like an epileptic and I cannot stop it, cannot stop the vibrations through my body. I'm terrified to drink water, terrified to use my body as I feel out of control of my body that is fighting itself inside my skull.
4:20. My pulse is racing, says my doctor, it is pounding through my veins, rat-a-tat-tat-thump-thump-thump. I dare to open my eyes, just barely, and it hurts to get used to the light. I wish I could put my sunglasses on inside, but people would stare.
4:40. My eyes are raw and red, my skin pale. I walk slowly, oozingly slowly out the door of the medical centre, my hand on the railing for steadiness as my pride and unwillingness to sit around in campus security propel me up the stairs. I am exhausted.
5:00. The life has been sucked out of my body and I sit in the empty study area, my body limp in the seat as I talk on the phone to my mother, needing the comfort of her voice. I don't want to stand up. I could sleep for days.
7:00. Caffeine and sugar. Blood glucose rises and I am jittery but my head isn't so foggy anymore. But my vision is still fucked from the apocalypse. I already need glasses, but this is different, things have changed.
9:40. On the bus home, I want to sleep but can't, must get home before falling asleep.
10:15. Must walk farther than usual to get home. Oh just 20 metres, 10 metres, 5 metres, in the door, I don't want to take off my shoes, it's too much.
11:00. I must study, I can't sleep, doesn't matter how exhausted I am, I must study, I must. Oh my brain is so foggy it's unreal, little twitches in my brain stem.
2:00. It's late at night and my eyes are asleep, I've studied and can reward myself by going to bed early, as opposed to 3 or 4 AM. My head is in aftershocks like little earthquakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment