Friday, July 25, 2008

Therapeutic Things.

- an empty and promising scrapbook
- plenty of images to collage with
- self-portraits
- a new iPod to indulge my need for music
- sandals to keep my feet safe and harnessed
- a 1949 Oxford UP edition of Shakespeare's collected works, purchased for $2.99 at Value Village
- coloured pens
- crayons and a Disney princess colouring book
- blood-red nail polish
- fresh strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, kiwi, granny smith apples
- soy milk
- long late-night phone conversations with my mum
- snuggling with my teddy bear under layers of comforters

4 comments:

Anna Lea said...

The things that allow us to live on. how do we do it? What makes us continue on and not give up completely? Is it the beauty and possibility that we can't quite reach, but try for anyhow?

Have you ever listened to Terami Hirsch?
She is near the top of my therapeutic things list. A woman who spends her days makign complex and intense, lovely music in her own home, one of the first artists whose music and words completely hit home for me....comfortable yet challenging.

Anna Lea said...

I commented on this yesterday. So strange that it's gone...lost in the wires, in the signals, the sparks that haven't quite reached themselves far enough.

I think that I may have suggested for you to check out the music of Terami Hirsch. She is one of my most powerful therapeutic things. She's an independt songwriter/perfromer, who makes all of her records at home, and is a very literate, introspective, deeply introverted artist. Her blog is quite fascinating to read, as well....i find her comforting and challenging. I have all of her cds, if you're actually interested. Earlier stuff sounds very different from now stuff....

Anna Lea said...

Wait, I'm silly....i realize why my first comment didn't get posted....you haven't apprvoed it yet..silly me, but sometimes, repetition is a blessing, when it is improved or meandered upon.

Miss Lazarus said...

Hello jellybean darling.

I just listened to Terami Hirsch for...hours already it seems...I'm afraid to stop having the music in my ears and go to sleep and not have her there. That sounds strange, I'm sure...but for some reason she hits my soul in a more gentle way than Tori, a little less raw, which is what I need right now. Gentleness.

Much, much, love.